View Single Post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-29, 01:48

It's a very good game! I'm having some trouble with a few parts and in general I'm sort of wandering around more than I am actually focusing on doing quests, but it's working out fine. It really has great environments and the combat is fun too. I still would have liked to see true turn-based combat. You can pause and issue combat orders which remove the need to aim manually, but those use action points that you have to let recharge over time. They also took out aimed groin shots .

The other thing it's missing is the real vastness of the wastes that you got in the older games. Yes, there is a pretty big game world that you run around in. But that's just it... you run around in it. You can walk the whole thing from end to end in real time if you want. In Fallouts 1 and 2, it kicked you to a map screen to travel between towns, which took days, and traveling involved lots of random encounters. Low-tech, of course, but it did a better job of conveying how large the wastes were. You could stop at any time in between towns in Fallouts 1 and 2 and just look around. Of course, the area would be completely empty and exactly the same as any other area with similar terrain, but I still think the new one doesn't do quite the same thing.