View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-04-28, 17:04

I can list a large handful of things in everyday use that someone, somewhere is going to complain about:

VGA
DVI
HDMI
DisplayPort
SD
Ethernet
FireWire 400 and 800
USB (and its 50 different connection "standards")
Thunderbolt 1 and 2

These are all things that are currently in widespread use. That the argument is down to [primarily] HDMI and SD is because they are the most "recent" technologies for Apple to have adopted. SD is a niche, while HDMI is at least understandable—to a point.

As for me, I would rather carry around an adapter than ask Apple to continue dragging along all these legacy ports. I have several things plugged into my current computer (USB drive and KB, and 24" ACD) that will require adapters when I get my new iMac. The KB will go away (but Apple still has the worst mouse on Earth, so I'll continue using my MS mouse, which is USB). My display is Mini DisplayPort, so I'll need an adapter for that. So, a small USB hub and a monitor adapter.

If I were on the road and needed a laptop, I'd carry a cheap 3-port thing with me that has USB-C, HDMI, and USB. It would live in my bag. But I don't, so whatever.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)