View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 10:47

I realize this isn't everyone's preferred model, but for those of us not interested in dropping $699+ on a phone, this little $400 bastard is our saving grace (and the only thing keeping us in the iPhone camp).

I'm hearing some chatter (rumor sites) on an upcoming 2022 model. 3-4 stories in just the past 48 hours, so that's interesting.

The gist: same body style as the current one, but the stories differ on whether it'll use the current top-of-the-line A14 (found in the iPhone 12 line) or the upcoming A15 that should be in the new iPhones coming this fall.

This new SE is slated for a first-half of 2022 release (all the articles agreed on this). Whether it's January 12 or May 28, who knows?

Screen is to stay the same 4.7" (and that's fine) and it will have 5G (which matters absolutely zero to me, as I barely use my iPhone on cellular at this point, and certainly not for heavy gulping of media/data...I "sip" when I'm not on Wifi.

So more of a under-the-hood update, according to the articles at MacRumors and AppleInsider. And that's fine. For $399, folks are happy with "good enough" and within a generation, processor-wise, of the flagships.

I will admit that I kinda assumed, by now, that a third-generation iPhone SE coming in 2022 would finally move to a full-face design (minus the fancy material, multiple cameras, OLED, stylish color options, etc.). But it sounds like we're simply in for a Rev. B of the current SE...processor bump + 5G. It may take a fourth-generation SE, come 2025 or so , before they start to look like the full-face flagships.

In any case, this can be the go-to iPhone SE (third-generation/2022) thread, for those interested (Capella, etc.).