View Single Post
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-26, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullpunkt
...this is probably the first time in the four years i've owned this thing that i've had any sort of problem... hence the frustration...

regardless though, even if we can't sort this problem out with your sleuthing skills, i sincerely appreciate the effort. You've been a great help so far (and probably taught me a thing or two i didn't know along the way)
Yeah.. Sorry about assuming you know about all of those steps... I have to say that if you have had this computer FOUR years and have never repaired permissions etc.. I am not suprised that you are starting to have problems!

Am I missing something here!!??!

At this stage without being there with you and having the machine infront of me to try a few things, and bearing in mind that you have done little or no basic maintenance on the machine for four years ( ) I would backup what is valuable and do a fresh install of your OS.

You could then download all the updates the SU recommends to get back to where you are OS wise now.. Do Repair Permissions etc. each time you install an update to any piece of software, OS or otherwise.

If you don't want to take that step, as a long shot you could try getting hold of Onyx, MacJanitor or any other of the Apps. like that and getting them to empty caches and run basic maintenance on your machine for you.. I don't think that will solve this problem but it may be worth a try, and MacJanitor is certainly something you should consider in the future if you are turning your machine off each night. It will run various system maintenance tasks which normally get run on a UNIX machine in the early hours of the morning automatically as and when you request it to. Those clean up tasks are very important to your machines health.

Hope that gives you some stuff to look into...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt