View Single Post
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2006-04-28, 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept
Well, that's perfectly fine, valid, and worthwhile as the goal of a film. I guess I got the wrong impression: that the viewer is 'caused' to feel a sense of impending doom that never materializes. Maybe the filmmaker never intended any such feeling in the viewer. Maybe many of us are so used to normal plot complications and conflicts that we become hypervigilant when expecting *major things to go wrong*.
I came to that conclusion about midway through the film, when nothing serious became of Olivia, that this was in fact just a character study. I don't think the director's intent was to mislead (he's not a professional director or writer in the true sense, he's a struggling actor, this is his only script and only movie as a director) but to say "hey! this is how real life is, no chase scenes, no shootings, just Olivia nearly running over Finbar every time she's sees him walking on the road."

It's amazing to me that every time an actor or actress wins acclaim and awards for a quiet movie, their next movie they are invariably either shooting someone or being shot at.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"