View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2006-06-18, 14:24

Things are seldom kosher for the two wheeled community:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2006/Quebec.asp

Popular scapegoat, the motorcyclist. If we apply age, sex, and driving record as insurance criteria, then type of vehicle, I think we'd be fine. This is just an attention grabbing statement and effort to differ blame to some group which must be bad, because their activity is less popular. I know plenty of people on two wheels (and some very powerful two wheelers at that) who are a lot safer than some of the teenage twits driving around in "riced" civics...

In Ontario, the government has actually been quite effective in lowering insurance rates, or at the least steadying them, without causing any major upheavals in the system, or bringing in a state (province) run plan. The regulator has been very active. Concessions as to compensation were made, overall liabilities for insurers reduced... education of consumers, and some competition in the market seem to have gone a long way. I didn't beleive it at first, but my car insurance actually fell in each of the last two years.

Bike insurance is a different story here too, but maybe with new licence categories and some similar work, those will become more sane and sensical as well. Certainly with the reality of escalating gas prices, and urban planners in cities, and regions and provinces, starting to get serious about the development of transit communities, two wheeled conveyances should only become more popular, and the respective voices of those users more respected as far as insurance goes.

I don't know about the rest of Canada, but in the GTA at least, a bike is a legit 8 month a year travel option. Weather tends to stay good enough through the end of October, and usually the roads are clear by mid March ...