View Single Post
Windswept
On Pacific time

2004-06-09, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs
Like spotcat, I saw that one coming a mile away... common Murb... you don't actually think anyone here believes you're sensitive, do you?
I do. heh

Quote:
Carol: I think most self-assured women use the "pleasantly ignore him" technique by the time they reach their 30s. I know mine does. Heck you can even watch the average sitcom and see women doing exactly that... sort of sarcastically saying "awww, it'll be allwite" when the man gets down in the mouth or whatever.
Well I don't dismiss the importance of whatever it is he's upset about. I just know that there's no point in trying to talk about it when he's in a rage. I just let him get around to coming to talk to 'me' when he's good and ready. If he chooses 'not' to mention it, I can live with that. People should be able to keep stuff to themselves if they want.
Quote:
Now, I would like to hear more specifics about what you do to motivate your male students as the semester gains momentum.
Well, it's nothing sinister, that's for sure. And I do the same for troublesome girls, too, of course. The last boy who sat in the corner and sulked, suddenly started coming to school in camouflage pants. After seeing him in these pants a few different times, I asked if he happened to be interested in military stuff. He was. So I showed him some war books I had that he could read for credit in my class. One was Platoon Leader, by McDonough. I did mention that it had cuss words, and asked if his parents would be 100% okay with that. He said 'no problem'. He *loved* the book; and after that, when he would come into the classroom, he would give me the coolest little shy smile. I love stuff like this. It makes me very happy.