View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-11, 19:55

Nothing popular and well-received lasts for only one season. Not anymore. That may have been the original plan, months and months ago, but surely Disney/Lucasfilm is noting the positive reaction and reviews and signing everyone on to another go-around. Studios - businesses in general - don't leave money on the table. Especially ones named Disney/Lucasfilm.

I do think the show will finish this particular storyline - the little Force frog, etc. - in a few weeks, but the very nature of this guy's job means that many more things can lie ahead...new bounties, new adversaries or partnerships, double-crosses, crisis of conscience, opportunities to kill and pursue those needing it, new planets to visit, etc. And when you factor in the time in which it's set - in that span between ROTJ and TFA - then they could even start to touch on the rise of the First Order (even if just by reference or seeing the aftermath of their growing oppression/brutality) and things like that, as seasons unfold? And since the character is masked/helmeted for the most part, there's no reason it can't time-jump ahead to better tell certain stories? Maybe season two is set 4-5 years after this one? To me, the future of such a show/character is wide open. Whether they want to center an entire season around just one bounty/pursuit, or break it up to where each job is wrapped up in 2-3 episodes (or even one) - or a mixture of all the above - is up to them.

Not that it means anything official, but there is a placeholder "season 2" header at the show's IMDb page (but that may be something they do for everything, I honestly don't know...but it's there).

But my point still stands...there will surely be a season two. When out-of-ideas, brain-dead and manipulative cheap-stunt shows like The Walking Dead can go this long (when they should've hung it up 5-6 seasons ago), then The Mandalorian surely winds up with at least 2-3 full seasons (especially at just 30 minutes each and eight or so per "season"). That's a comparatively light load considering how many shows out there are 12 (or more) episodes and 45-60 minutes (the aforementioned zombie show and many others).

The secret/trick - and so many shows seem to fail at this - is going out while leaving audiences wanting more. Don't stick around for 6-9 seasons when the entire planet knows you shot your creative/watchability wad in 2-4. Go out big, on top, whatever that may be. Stranger Things might wanna re-think their five-season master plan...that show is getting worse with each installment. I absolutely loved season one (enjoyable, novel, out-of-nowhere lightning-in-a-bottle), season two was a bit of a slog that I don't even remember anything about...and I couldn't even get past the third episode of season three.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2019-12-11 at 20:56.