View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-31, 10:33

It would've been nice, sure enough, if they'd put a few episodes/series "in the can" so we wouldn't be sitting around for 8-12 months. Attention spans are nonexistent, and, now more than ever, people have other things to occupy/entertain themselves.

As much as I've enjoyed The Mandalorian, I have to admit that I've not really thought much about it these past few months and I've lost my spark/enthusiasm (but that's also been the case with Better Call Saul, which takes longer than any show I've ever known between seasons...I've already forgotten how last season ended, it's been so long. And I don't think anything is coming until well into 2022.

But, yeah. It would've been cool if one of those announced live-action shows (Andor, Ahsoka, etc.) showed up in February or so. I don't know if that Bad Batch show is hitting as big as The Mandalorian (I see no real talk about it online anywhere, including here; which tells me something).

They have to be careful not to overdo it and wear everyone out, but I also think two months out of 12 for any original, live-action Star Wars fare is a bit skimpy. I'm hoping that once all these shows get up and running they'll leapfrog each other and we'll get a year-round buffet of Mando, Boba Fett, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, but with a few months in between each one to let people process/cleanse their palate, etc. I don't want 3-4 shows all airing simultaneously, never-ending. Something between that and the current output would be nice.

That Andor show has been in production for quite a while. I assumed it was coming at some point in 2021 but I haven't heard a word about it in 4-5 months.

But I do think the future of Star Wars is on the small screen, via episodic, short form storytelling. I don't think we'll ever see that yellow logo on the big screen again. And that's fine, things change. I'm happier seeing enjoyable, well made stuff on my TV than two hours of bombastic, "expectation subverting" incoherency at the multiplex. The worst episode of The Mandalorian (that one with the little village and the kids and the chicken walker in the woods) is still better than the best parts of The Force Awakens.

I'll get back into this all when they come back around, I'm sure. But it's very easy to lose momentum, interest and enthusiasm with these loooooong gaps between installments (or new shows). Hopefully 2022 and 2023 will consist of a steadier diet...two months of this show, a 1-2 month "rest", then here comes season one of Obi-Wan for two months, another couple of months of a break, then Ahsoka's show, rinse, repeat. I'd be okay with that sort of pattern...3-4 shows throughout the year with a bit of a gap between each one (at least a month, just so it feels like you're not choking on anything).

Anticipation/waiting is always nice, but they're kinda overdoing it right now. It'll take that Boba show in December to light my SW dork fire again (because it's kinda gone dormant right now).