View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-09, 18:10

I have The Shining on in the background (it and a bunch of other Stephen King stuff - Thinner, Christine, Pet Sematary, etc. - are playing on AMC channel all day). It just hit that scene where Wendy (Shelley Duvall) discover what "writing" her husband has been working on all winter long.

That's still the most "ohhhh...shit, he lost his mind a long time ago..." scene ever put on film. I've seen it a dozen times but it still makes me shudder and do that "ohmigosh" squirm. Great setup/build and reveal, one of the best!

When she starts thumbing through all those pages and it just says the same thing - over and over and over again - in various formatting/spacing...that's good stuff! I remember the first time I saw it...I nearly came out of my chair!

"Oh no...oh mannnnn...every page? For real? Holy. Crap. Run, girl!"

This and The Silence of the Lambs are the two movies that, to this day, will give me the genuine unsettling creep-outs. Those two movies hit me more than any other horror/thriller out there, including, yes, The Exorcist, all the Halloween stuff and anything beyond that. Those are child's play (no pun).

But these two movies make me look under my bed before I go to sleep.