View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-10-13, 05:38

I always opt for subtitles so I can hear the movie in its original form/dialogue…even if I can’t understand what’s being said.

A few years back I got on a huge South Korean crime/mystery kick via Netflix and saw some great movies - Oldboy, the vengeance trilogy and about 15-20 other South Korean cops/killers/gangsters movies.

I loved hearing the original Korean acting while reading along. I’d actually watch each movie twice…the first time with no subtitles and just figure out what was going on from the visuals, facial expressions, vocal inflections, etc. Then I’d “reward” myself by rewatching with subtitles on and was always surprised by how close I was in my guesses/assumptions.

“Ahh…he did think that guy screwed him over, so that’s why he went to that house and…” and so forth.

I won’t watch anything with English dubbing…something gets lost. So I’ll sit and watch Swedish and South Korean mysteries and crime thrillers in their original language, only using subtitles if I think it’ll help me.