Thread: MC: Currency
View Single Post
¡Damned!

2011-04-25, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
So instead of saying "ZOMG I will never find enough lapis" and having an admin drop me some, I would say "Brad, I'm starting a new project" and he would give me X slimeballs, which I would then give back to him in exchange for lapis?

That just seems needlessly complicated. How would we determine the "worth" of different projects? Would each building be worth X? Would bigger structures be worth more? My current project is somewhere between "arteggio big" and "bobsky big." How many slimeballs is that worth? What if Rowdy wants to make Mega Man pixel art? That's a smaller project but it would still need lots of rare dyes. &c. &c.
This is all bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Really? The whole thing seems a good bit more inconvenient than just bartering, to me. It's not even bartering, really, it's just sharing. The sand I gave Bryson was worth something to him and nothing to me. Why wouldn't I share? But then if we start saying that each stack of sand is worth 5 slimeballs, and collecting 50 slimeballs is the only practical way I could get any lapis, then I'd have to be all "pay up" for giving him something I honestly didn't need for myself. It'd be purely artificial value.

I have plenty of wool now. I'll gladly give white wool to anyone who wants it. I would have just given you red or black wool the other night, Kraetos, if I didn't need all I can get my hands on for my next project. Outside of that, it has no value to me. If I ever stop making colorful things, my dyes are yours.

I don't think Minecraft needs a way of keeping score. Seeing the cool things you people build and getting complements on what I build is satisfying enough. Anyone who doesn't like feeling like they "owe" Brad for his assistance can put things into the Exchange in return, or whatever.
This is roughly true.

I think y'all are making this whole thing a lot more complicated than it should be. Let me put it into perspective:

A) There is a coin now. Do with it what you will. Trade it, keep it, buy something with it. Just like real life.

B) Mod powers will not change. They can flood you with metric ass-loads of whatever you're too lazy to mine yourself.

C) "Unobtainables" are at the mods discretion. Give, buy, trade. Whatever.

D) Gah. I really thought this would be a stupidly easy thing for everyone to agree upon. I don't even know why I started this thread now.

So it goes.