View Single Post
PhenixReborn

2004-07-23, 07:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barto
You boss is insane by the way: if you want a program to be compatible between different versions of Windows then .NET is NOT the way to do it... I don't know if the .NET framework even runs on Windows 9*.
The deal with the .NET framework is actaully a rather intelligent move on the part of MS. Instead of trying to tell developers what they need to change and when just to make their programs work with Win 9x or NT or 2000 or XP, the developers can just include the .NET redist package with their installer. The redist package contains the libraries and a copy of the CLR (C-Language Runtime), which means that any computer with ANY version of Windows as old as Win95 can be setup to run your .NET program. The entire purpose of .NET is to make it easy on developers to develop for all Windows platforms without worrying about compatability. It's nice, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyvern
It's pretty easy to get about 80% of the performance of C with Java. And with file parsing, your bottleneck is disk access, not numbercrunching. Losing all cross-platform compatibility is a pretty big price to pay for eye-candy.
Oh, I ain't no fool. I know that with what I'm doing, Java would work just as well without much drop in speed and response. The biggest reason I'm using C# is that he wants the software to look similar to the XP interface and MS was kind enough to make those items available in a couple libraries in the .NET framework. Of course, then it was a choice between VC++ and VC#.....hmmm.....yeah, right, no way I'm spending time on VC++ unless I have to. (And don't even mention using VJ++ ::shudder:: )

P.S. Think it's possible to make a smiley that shudders?