View Single Post
åsen

2008-07-18, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko View Post
How do you like the D200? All the reviews are good but now that the D300 is out the review all say the 300 owns the 200 of course. I'm looking to find a good deal on the D200 I currently have a D70, great starter camera but want to upgrade and the D300 is a little $$$ for me.
Jumping from the D70 to D200 will for starters give you a much better viewfinder, metering for AI-S lenses, weatherproofing, and the ability to GPS-tag your images (GPS receiver not included). All of which are major plus points, for me at least. I bought both my D200s as Nikon refurbished bodies. Only 6-month guarantee, but cheap. I have seen new D200s still on sale as recently as 2 weeks ago at much reduced prices, and I may buy an extra one and save it for the future. This is because a D200 with the internal filter removed is superb for UV and IR photography, which I do. All successor cameras, eg D300, D3, D700 are poorer at UV/IR.

I'm not interested in the D300, but I am looking at the D700. Not for the FX sensor but for the high ISO capability. Using an f/1.2 or f/1.4 lens wide open on a high ISO camera could give interesting possibilities in low-light conditions.

Nikon has not (to my knowledge) explained why the new body is called D700. But it would allow future DX bodies to be called D400, D500, D600. And future compact FX bodies could be called D800, D900. That should give Nikon a few more years before they have to invent a new system for non-pro bodies.