View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-01, 18:56

Today I made...a sandwich. It was just as good as the identical sandwich I made yesterday.

Has anyone here tried Franz "BIG" bread? I think it's a NW (US) thing. Anyway, unlike any other loaf of bread I have ever seen in my life, it's divided into...21 slices. An odd number of slices! That makes no sense, because I always make an even number of toast (for sandwiches or whatever). So when I run out of bread, I really have one slice left. But I paid good money for that slice and I don't want to waste it, so I have to by another loaf of Franz "BIG" bread. It's a conspiracy. For the obsessive compulsive, anyway

If you're wondering why I don't just make my own bread and cut it into as many slices as I want, the answer is because, to paraphrase Nixon, I am not a cook. I don't engage in cookery, or do other such cooking-related things. I do bake things. I can bake cookies and cakes and pie and little bars. But the extend of my baking knowledge is limited to, how should we say, desserts.

This is largely due to the fact that I can't prepare anything with meat in it, which rules out most American main courses. I can eat meat, if I don't have to think about it (if I do think about it, perhaps due to a rude grandfather helpfully pointing it out to illustrate my weak will, I feel quite nauseous). But actually preparing meat, and touching or even seeing it raw, simply makes me feel intensely sad, and guilty, and I then prepare desserts, to cheer myself up. So I've become much more adept at desserts than main courses.

@stevegong: I would certainly try that! It looks delicious. I don't think Virginia Firefighters are particularly known for their culinary taste, so I wouldn't take it too personally.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong