View Single Post
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2011-06-14, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenP View Post
Also somewhat off-topic, but I had a gorgeous rash around my mouth for two weeks thanks to the dairy in the non-gel Claritin, which I didn't know about.
I've had to talk to my pharmacy to only get me one brand of a generic of a med I'm on, because there's apparently a few generic provides but only 1 of them has nothing irritating in it. It's probably a pain in the ass for them to have to make absolutely sure which one they've got before giving it to me, but my system's super hair-trigger like that and I can really cheat with only one poison pill a day.

Bonus hilarity; you know on female BC pills? The placebo week of "sugar pills"? Two guesses what the sugar is... *doesn't take them anymore*

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Just to be sure: no one is allergic to lactose. They are allergic to milk proteins that come along with the lactose...
I react by vomiting for hours if fed either lactose or casein, and the casein gives me a surface rash, so even if I'm technically only allergic to one half of it, any dairy product should not be allowed anywhere near me (or to touch anything I'm s'posed to eat, thank you campus food people who don't clean giant globs of cheese off the damned grill, and NO picking it off the sandwich before you hand it to me does not count...) What would be the proper term for having responses to both lactose and casein?

(Also, while I'm wondering, how the hell can non-dairy creamer be called non-dairy creamer, but still have a dairy protein in it? Shouldn't it just be called a lactose-free creamer to make the distinction a little more obvious?)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder