View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-06-25, 11:21

But, we're really not talking about all the accessory draw. We are simple discussing what Apple can do with their processor. Look at it this way: In an iPad Pro, Apple's entry-level "Mac" CPU (A12Z) is faster than Intel's entry level Mac Mini processor (Intel 3.6GHz quad-core i5), and Apple's entry-level GPU is 4x as fast! And that comes at a significantly lower power draw, and with no fan (yes, it has a fan in the DTK, but not in the iPad Pro where all of the numbers are coming from). The point is that Apple can now boost the power and the cooling requirements to eek out every scrap of power that chip can deliver.

I'm guessing it's a lot—at the entry level—and Apple hasn't even shown us their mojo, yet!

I like this quote from Craig Federighi:

Quote:
"Even that DTK hardware, which is running on an existing iPad chip that we don't intend to put in a Mac in the future, it's just there for the transition, the Mac runs awfully nice on that system."

"It's not a basis on which to judge future Macs, of course, but it gives you a sense of what our silicon team can do when they're not even trying," he continued. "And they're going to be trying.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2020-06-25 at 14:50.