View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2021-02-22, 23:46

Yeah, for example, if I wanted to be an even bigger jerk than usual, I could just embed a JS crypto miner in the base page header on AppleNova, and all of the time anyone (well, anyone not actively blocking them) spends reading any page on the site would effectively contribute tiny fractions of compute cycles that would cumulatively add up to something more substantial and go into my own wallet. No malware gets installed in your system; it only runs in the background while you're browsing pages that have the code, just the same as any other modern JavaScript, and is easy to hide among all the already insanely bloated "modern" web apps. This strategy works even better on phone/tablet browsers where blockers are less common, less configurable, and not nearly as effective as uBO.

Ironically, I can't even look at the top search result hits for the sites that offer these tools and services because their whole domains are blocked on my home network by my Pi-hole too. I was going to say "like X, Y, or Z" but I guess I'll have to leave that as a research exercise to the reader.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.