View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-11-16, 04:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit View Post
I went ahead and updated, since I can live off of my iPhone, iPad, and work computer for a few days if something had bricked my MacBook.

Pros:
  • Overall it's not much of a change from Catalina. The windows are more rounded, and the traffic light buttons have moved a bit, but it's still very Mac-like.
  • No major bugs so far.
  • Changed my Time Machine drive over to APFS, and it seems a lot faster so far.
  • There are some cool new dynamic desktops of cartoony landscapes around Big Sur.
  • Feature parity between Maps on iOS and macOS is really nice.
  • The new Control Center works really well to hide some of the rarely-used things that used to take up space in the menu bar most of the time.

Cons:
  • Safari windows are a lot lighter than they used to be. I keep thinking that my active window is in the background.
  • Some of the new icons are fine; others aren't so much. The Safari icon is just the old icon, but smaller and in a box.
  • Not much of a fan of the new sounds. Most of them don't sound like alerts.
  • There should be an option to bring back the always-visible folder proxy icon in the Finder.
One thing I'll add here is a Con, sort of: the installation experience was fairly poor. It took an eternity and walked me through multiple different UIs, including a very odd one that had a menu bar with the frontmost app "Language Choice" (or something), but no mouse cursor to actually interact with it. That UI had a little window with a progress bar that wasn't centered, and was seemingly stuck on about 3% for ten minutes, only to disappear entirely. I point this out not just because I was frightened of having bricked my computer, but because the working theory is that others were even more confused by this, so much so that they didn't let it keep running but instead shut it off and turn it back on, thereby bricking their device (because it was actually in the middle of a firmware upgrade).

Two things on the proxy icon: you can't bring it back forever, but as of 11.0.1, you can hold shift to skip the weird delay.

Second, you can disable the delay: defaults write -g NSToolbarTitleViewRolloverDelay -float 0

(via https://mjtsai.com/blog/2020/10/05/b...nt-proxy-icon/)