View Single Post
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-04, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits
I guess you can look at it two ways. Yahoo and MSN, both high-speed internet providers, are big players in the search and advertising business, what makes google any different?

And then you can look at it like Ebby, and I lean more this way. If Microsoft were the ones doing this, the world would be in an uproar over privacy. I don't get why everyone thinks the people at Google are somehow different then every other company...
Well, it could be because google doesn't seem to resort to any unsavory tactics to win heart and mind. Their typical business formula thus far has been essentially "take a service that other companies offer for a price, improve on it, offer it for free" What's not to like?

I mean, who knows, maybe google will get power-mad an start aggressively knocking other companies out of the running, buying people out, filing lawsuits, antitrust, privacy invasion, restrictions...etc...etc. But, so far, they haven't, and people like them for it, and things are good.

It is phenomenal though, Google came out of nowhere(more or less), almost every geek claims to have been one of the first people using the search engine(you know, for that indie cred), They've managed to win the hearts and minds of the internet populace, whilst providing some truly kick ass services. What's more, people genuinely trust them, for some unknown reason. When, yes, they could very well be just another big company looking out only for themselves without any real care for their customer base. Or maybe they are different

I guess time will tell, as they continue to step outside of the realm of the internet search business.