View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-06-14, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post

I react by vomiting for hours if fed either lactose or casein, and the casein gives me a surface rash, so even if I'm technically only allergic to one half of it, any dairy product should not be allowed anywhere near me (or to touch anything I'm s'posed to eat, thank you campus food people who don't clean giant globs of cheese off the damned grill, and NO picking it off the sandwich before you hand it to me does not count...) What would be the proper term for having responses to both lactose and casein?
Well, vomiting isn't necessarily a sign of an allergy to lactose -- lactose intolerance can result in nausea and vomiting. It is also possible that whatever the source of the lactose you had wasn't completely free of dairy proteins. The reason there are no known lactose allergies is that simple natural sugars, like lactose, are generally not large enough to illicit an immune response (too small for antibodies to recognize alone) AND are not likely to modify human proteins, causing an immune response against the modified protein.

I would believe that you are severely allergic to casein and most preparation of lactose are not casein free...