View Single Post
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2019-08-09, 17:07

Apple is really trying to make AR happen but I’m not sure the public sees that as solving a problem in their lives, at least not yet. Trying to advertise these new phones on the basis of “the best phone for AR” doesn’t tell people why they would want that.

It’s sort of like the “Smart HDR” thing. Okay, great, we’re in a new age of computational photography, but what does that mean for me? Google had the way better answer: “our smart camera will let you capture pictures in the dark that you couldn’t before.” And it does. Google communicated a real-world benefit, not just a feature.

Once iPhones got big screens I think Samsung never really had any killer feature, which is why they started to fumble. But, I have to say, I’m sort of jealous of Night Sight, and I totally get why someone would get a Pixel instead of an iPhone just for that feature. It feels like Apple is playing catch-up on a really desirable feature, in a way that they haven’t been since finally adding big screens.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong