View Single Post
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2006-06-27, 11:23

PHP is inferior to some of the other web languages/technologies due to its weak OO abilities, and the fact that it's too easy to mix presentation with your business logic. I started programming for the web in PHP, it was cool at the time and I really enjoyed it. Later I bought a used copy of WebObjects off Ebay. I probably shouldn't have done that, because I'm so totally spoiled with the power of WebObjects that hacking around with PHP seems like banging my head against a wall.

WebObjects (the only one I've really used, I'm sure ColdFusion and ASP .Net are similar) does a really good job of cleanly separating your data model, business logic, and interface. WebObjects really adheres to MVC just like Cocoa. It uses code behind to make sure you don't have all your business logic in the same file as your interface. With WebObjects it is possible for a web designer to lay out the interface and put in placeholders (don't know exactly how to describe it) for the dynamic content. Then the programmers can write the code that processes and populates the dynamic content.

If you know any Java, give WO a whirl. It comes free now with Xcode. Just a warning though, after you use WebOjects you'll probably start to hate using PHP.

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...