View Single Post
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-06-27, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley
Well then shoot tell all the folks that implement shopping carts, sessions, and other state based functions that the web wasn't designed to do those things. And, if they do implement them they should be hard to work with.
I never said it shouldn't be done... I simply said HTTP wasn't designed for it, and hence, state-ful web applications generally have some side effects - Take a look at the URLs in the Apple store, for instance.

Quote:
1. Better performance - A compiled language will generally outperform an intrepreted one
Through use of IonCube, and various other tools, PHP can also be compiled into Bytecode.

Quote:
2. Better error checking - Compiling helps you discover errors before you run
PHP uses a compile-then-parse methodology, so this point is moot.

Quote:
3. Better state handling - I've already talked about this one.
Define "better". The URLs to WO applications are generally horrible. Whereas, this forum, for instance, implements a very nice session system.

Quote:
The downside to those is a steeper learning curve.
As well as a less flexible application, and other various things.

Quote:
None of the above has anything to do with frameworks, only server implementation. Unless someone drastically alters the implementation of PHP, you can consider it a feature of the language as PHP only works one way on a server.

Additionally you are wrong in saying that PHP does not come with a framework. Out of the box you get support for sessions, database access, collections, etc. It might not be as full featured as some of the other web app frameworks, but that is a lot more than just a language.
It comes with APIs, yes, however, it is still a language. It doesn't force MVC onto you, nor does it force any or paradigm. It's a tool set, just as any high-level language should have. A framework is something entirely different. (Also, as of PHP5, Database Access must be enabled on compile.)

I really have nothing to put here, but I feel it's rather strange to not have one.