View Single Post
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2006-06-27, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster375
I never said it shouldn't be done... I simply said HTTP wasn't designed for it, and hence, state-ful web applications generally have some side effects - Take a look at the URLs in the Apple store, for instance.
What if I don't want to play with cookies, then how well will PHP stand up?

Quote:
Through use of IonCube, and various other tools, PHP can also be compiled into Bytecode.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Define "better". The URLs to WO applications are generally horrible. Whereas, this forum, for instance, implements a very nice session system.
Again if I don't use cookies then this forum won't hold any state for me. If you don't want the "horrible" URLs then you can use direct actions, or cookies as well. Here the alternatives to PHP give you more options.

Quote:
As well as a less flexible application, and other various things.
About the only thing I can think of here is flexibility in deployment. Sure that is a a big plus for PHP no arguments there.

Quote:
It comes with APIs, yes, however, it is still a language. It doesn't force MVC onto you, nor does it force any or paradigm. It's a tool set, just as any high-level language should have. A framework is something entirely different. (Also, as of PHP5, Database Access must be enabled on compile.)
Uhh a framework is a code library, an API is how you call that code, PHP has these. So you have to enable database access, why would that not make it part of the framework that comes with PHP?

MVC is a great design pattern, and as NeXT showed it even works really well with the web. Sorry but I can't imagine any good web code that would not hold to separating display from business logic. Can you make a compelling argument for why the two should be mixed in a web app? If you can't then having the framework help you with MVC is nothing but a win.

It's obvious that you really like PHP, that's fine. PHP is good at what it is designed to do. However, there are alternative technologies for dynamic web content that do work better than PHP. I'm just trying to offer my thoughts on what those technologies are, and why they are better. There is a reason that businesses use ASP.Net, WebObjects, JBoss and the like. As someone who has used both I would say that for anything but the most trivial dynamic content I'd rather use something other than PHP. Read what Jon Rentzsch has to say about WebObjects vs other web technologies. I agree totally with him that after you wrap your head around how WO works, you can bang out much better apps in a fraction of the time compared to things like Perl CGIs and PHP.

"Slow vehicle speeds with frequent stops would signal traffic congestion, for instance."

uh... it could also signal that my Mom is at the wheel...