View Single Post
nassau

2006-06-29, 03:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley
PHP started as a way for a guy to collect statistics on how many visitors he had to his site. It has grown quite a bit, and many more things are possible with it, but contrast this with something like ASP .NET which was written from the ground up to be a robust, industrial strength application server and you can see why businesses choose one over the other.
i hear you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley
You seem to like PHPBBs as an example of dynamic sites. To give you an example I like to read reefcentral.com. It is a fairly high traffic site, and I'd guess they have 10,000-20,000 visitors there a day. They have some fairly frequent performance problems with that site. They have to limit searching to paid members because it would overload the site for everyone to be doing it. Also, they go offline many times because of high traffic. Can you imagine Ebay, Amazon, the Apple store, etc going offline because of high traffic? They would loose money from that, hence they pick a solution that is more robust.
are the performance problems caused by using PHP? is there an upper limit to how much traffic PHP can handle, does it lack in "computing speed" or something like that?