View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-02-06, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleli2 View Post
Personally, I think we're at the end of the age of hierarchical file systems, and we should move to a metadata/search-based system (see: Gmail's labels) which would draw far more heavily on the Spotlight, and essentially take the Finder out of the picture.
Until local search becomes intelligent and can take into account context, synonyms, and alternate spellings (among many more issues), the traditional file hierarchy will remain deeply entrenched in everyday life for many folks for a long time to come. Then remember that these features must also be extend to work in many languages (not just English) and must also account for non-spoken languages (ie. technical jargon, programming languages, etc.).

I certainly wouldn't trust a search-only method of retrieving my files any time soon. Even Google's improved searching is far from perfect and fails me at times.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.