View Single Post
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2008-12-23, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
That kind of quote is exactly what I was getting at when I said that people shouldn't treat him as a hero or whatever.

He broke the law. No judge should go easy on him because you think "he did a great thing." That's bullshit.

A judge shouldn't be allowed to inject his personal opinion on the matter into it. The judge is there to enforce the law as written. I don't think there is a provision in the law that allows a judge to go easy on them because he "did a great thing."
Judges interpret the law *all the time*! The executive branch is there to execute it, the legislative branch writes it and the judges interpret it. That's how it's always been and how it should be.

There is a lot of judgment in sentencing. I guess that's why they're called "judges" . A good judge, in my opinion, looks at not just the "crime" but also the motive and the intent. There's so much about any particular case that's not cut and dry.

Hell, is it even a crime to bid in an auction when you have no intention of paying? I dunno. I'm just asking. Breach of contract isn't typically a criminal offense, is it? Civil liability, sure, but you don't go to jail for a civil offense, right?