View Single Post
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2008-12-23, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
That kind of quote is exactly what I was getting at when I said that people shouldn't treat him as a hero or whatever.

He broke the law. No judge should go easy on him because you think "he did a great thing." That's bullshit.

A judge shouldn't be allowed to inject his personal opinion on the matter into it. The judge is there to enforce the law as written. I don't think there is a provision in the law that allows a judge to go easy on them because he "did a great thing."
Tori is absolutely right, that's why they're called judges. They get to use their judgement on matters like this. That's why there are minimum and maximum punishments for breaking laws. That's why you hear things like, "fines up to $10,000" or, "up to 25 years in prison." The jury gets to decide if the person broke the law in question. The judge gets to decide what the intent was and what harm was done.

I'm saying that what he did seems like a victimless crime to me. I know there's no such thing, but as previously stated, he didn't force anyone into a bidding war with him.

Yes, he broke the law. No, I don't think they should give him the maximum sentence. There are too many people out there trying to ruin the earth. There's no reason to go crazy when one person tries to save it. It's a great effort on his part and I hope, in spite of what you obviously feel, that they go easy on him.

Come waste your time with me