View Single Post
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-08-23, 15:07

CD's and DVD's will stay around a bit longer, but their death-knell has been rung. So long as the internet exists, streaming is the future and that can either be funded through subscriptions or through advertising. The ad industry is fighting this harder than any other, because their very existence is dependent upon your eyeballs. Personally, I hate ads—I hate the politics, the "gotta-have-it-now", the toilet humor, the bogus claims, all of it—and can no longer tolerate them on any medium. Literally, they make me sick to the point of turning off the tube and finding something else to do. Any ad, of any content, on any show, and I'm out. I'll pay the subscription just to avoid the ads.

I watch netflix and use ad-blockers on my computers. I hate Amazon because every show I watch seems to include an ad for some other show, and that has turned me off of a lot of their content (honestly, the only reason I ever use that is for Top Gear The Grand Tour, and even that show gets fast-forwarded for 2 minutes so I don't have to watch the time-wasting intro [The Netflix web interface has a handy little "skip intro" option that I love]).

Seriously, kill the ads and charge me ten bucks. If your content is worth paying for, I'll gladly save the money over a cable/internet plan and stick around. If your content isn't worth watching, then it should die (or be funded by someone else's morbid curiosity). Hell, just my time alone is worth $7/month. I would gladly pay that to anyone who could get me back the time wasted by advertisers!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)