View Single Post
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2018-11-05, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Was it "marketing", or did Apple design and build something that you wanted/needed?
It's funny you zero'd in on my use of the word "marketing." I hit "post" and thought, "Hmm. Not really 'marketing.' Ah, screw it, nobody's gonna care whether I use just the right word there."

What I really meant to say was that they are frickin' geniuses of pricing (which is related to marketing, but not the same thing, yes.)

Not only did Apple get an extra $150 out of me, right off the bat, by keeping the old iPad Pro model at the old price, they bumped me up another $150 because who's gonna buy an iPad Pro with only 64GB in almost 2019? Then, since they had so adeptly pushed me into this new pricing arena ($650 became $950), the price of the folio keyboard seemed not so much more. At $650, adding another $180 for a keyboard seems... kinda wrong. But when you're at $950.. eh, throw the keyboard in there, too.

So, using their amazing pricing skills, they turned a $650 sale into a $1130 sale.

I did stop short of the pen(cil). I just don't think I'd use that. But, if I had thought of a use for it, another $130 would have seemed pretty OK. "It's cheaper than the keyboard? Sold."

Ugh.