Thread: iMac 2021
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-14, 11:37

I've noticed that a lot of YouTubers are posting their follow-up, "I've had it for two weeks now..." 24" iMac updates. Most seem to be positive and happy, so that's good.

Apparently that low-end $1,299 model, in addition to half the ports, also has half the fans...just one. The two videos I saw about it ran tests and there's a slight lag (stuff getting warmer sooner?), but most folks probably wouldn't notice. That was never pointed out or noted in any of the unveiling info or even the specs at Apple's site.

I'd just drop the extra $200 and get the extra ports, both fans, all the graphics cores and a few more color options. That $1,299 model has its place, but I'd feel better with the $1,499 version (well, $1,699 by the time I bumped the RAM to 16GB). That $1,299 model just doesn't strike me as having the "legs" the others might (and for someone who keeps their Macs as long as I do, that is a valid issue; if it means another year or two of good use/performance, that matters to me). I do go long stretches between purchases, but I also never "cheap out" and go bargain basement (to where I have to upgrade/replace every 2-3 years because it was under-spec'd/barebones to start with). I rarely get the low-end, entry-level model (of anything...except for iPhones).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-06-14 at 11:47.