View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-06-28, 16:34

I'm dealing with the same issue. While my phone is 14 million years old (okay, five-plus), in the past 4-5 months, charging this bastard has become a circus act. Gone are the days when I just stick the cord in, hear that little "beep", see the lightning bolt symbol on the battery icon, etc.

I have to play with the placement, angle, insertion, etc. (and then back away and don't even breathe) to even hope for the thing to stay connected and charge. I've come back to it on a few occasions, an hour or two later, and it didn't take. And I'm still at 7% or something crazy.

Also gone are the days of lying in bed and using it while plugged in/charging. It'll lose the connection for charging, due the wallowfication.

There have been a few times when it's gets down to 1-3% and then just shuts down. Imagine the PITA of trying to get THAT connection made when you have no visual or audio feedback.

If I wasn't such a cheap-ass, I'd be over at the AT&T store as we speak, buying a new, second-generation SE. I just can't seem to pull that trigger, but I know I will do so very soon because I've now entered a period of diminished fun/usage/reliability. The battery itself is shot, so even when I do get it charged, it doesn't take long at all to go from 100% down to 10-20%.

So, yeah..."wallowed out", for sure. I have to try a bunch of different ways of inserting the cable for it to make proper contact and to charge this thing reliably. Just overuse and all? Only started happening a few months ago, since 2021. This, combined with the really weak battery, is making me want to put on some pants and drive to the AT&T store tonight...

FWIW, I have only ever used Apple cables with this thing (or any other phone). I've never bought those others you see at Walgreen's, or those no-name $5 cables/chargers you see at your corner Stop 'n' Rob convenience store/hotdog emporium. When I got my iPhone 5 way back in October 2012(!) I bought two additional Apple-branded Lightning-to-USB cables that same day. I still have them and use them with this SE. The one that came with my current SE plugs into the wall on my night stand (with the wall plug that came with it). The other two are used to connect my phone to my Mac (for charging/syncing) and the other is in the car, connected to a Belkin car charger (that I've probably only used about three times(!) in all these years).

When I get a new iPhone, I'll probably go ahead and get at least one new USB-to-Lightning cable (for the Mac connection). If I have to travel or go on a road trip, I'll just take that one with me. I didn't need to buy two, as little as I've ever used/needed the car charging setup. I don't travel that much, and it's just as easy to grab this one from the computer (if I remember).