View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-22, 10:46

I believe this was in that Isaacson bio, where Steve (Jobs) is talking about TV and says something like “we’ve cracked it”.

Fast-forward a decade…is it all this streaming, subscription stuff? Is that what he was talking about? Where, instead of paying for cable and maybe Netflix or sone other service, you’re now shelling out $6-12 (or more) for about a half-dozen services and still can’t reliably see what you used to just 5-8 short years ago?

Remember when you could actually find/watch popular movies on Netflix? That’s all a thing of the past. Now it’s just iffy stand-up concerts and made-for-Netflix movies or series.

I have to believe Steve was talking about it from the business/provider angle because, for the consumer/viewer, ain’t nobody “cracked” shit from where I sit.

The companies are all raking it in (and that’s fine, that’s how this stuff works), but I fail to see how nickel-and-dining yoiurself with multiple, specialized streaming services (Prine, Apple+, Discovery+, HBO Max, Hulu, Disney+, etc. is easier, more affordable or as varied as things were 10 years ago.

Yes, cable sucks. But this other stuff isn’t much better, IMO. If one is very specific in their tastes and wants, I suppose something like Disney+ could provide 90% of the entertainment one needs, but you really gotta have a 24/7 hard-on for Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars, don’t you? The Marvel stuff, for me, is a one-and-done deal. I’m not going to sit and watch Thor or Ant-Man movies on an ongoing basis. The shows may be hit or miss. They seem to come and go quickly.

Maybe it’ll be easier to assess 1-2 years from now when all this original episodic fare has kicked in and there aren’t long gaps between things (I’m looking at you, Star Wars).

How has your TV viewing (and monetary outlay) changed over the years? Are you still on regular cable or have you ditched that and subscribe to multiple services now instead?

What do you like, and not like, about this “new way”?

I’ve noticed lately, watching TV, that if a commercial isn’t about auto insurance or the latest “ask your doctor about…” prescription drug, then it’s a promo for a streaming service (Discocery+, Disney+, Hulu, etc.). Those are now the big three advertisers. Not soda and beer, shaving cream, automobiles, Ritz crackers, feminine hygiene products, etc.