View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-22, 12:05

Yep, with that Joanna Gaines hottie in half of them for their Magnolia(?) network.

I assumed "cracking it" would be some true pick-and-choose, a la carte type of thing, where one got to choose only the networks/channels they really wanted (DIY, Food Network, HGTV and Game Show Network would pretty much be my four), and pay a reasonable fee for those. The more you choose, the better break on pricing you got. But, no matter what, it shook out better than the typical cable bill.

But I'm hopelessly naive about such things, and should know better by now that no company is going to buy into that and make it that easy/pleasant.

Netflix has always been hit or miss for me, but I could always find something (Korean crime/police/gangster flicks became a thing for me for a while, and I saw about 25-30 really good movies...but they're hard to find now for some reason). But it seems everything has left. The Sopranos and anything that was HBO has, naturally, departed for HBO Max (understandable). And we all know where Marvel, Star Wars, etc. movies went. I did enjoy The Irishman and The Highwaymen movies, but that's two measly movies over the course of 18 or so months. They have a shitload of Jason Statham movies available, but if you've seen 1-2 of those, you've basically seen them all, right? It isn't like one of them is going to be accidentally extra good or something.

A changing landscape, for sure.

I do think when some of those original series get fully up to production/release and so there's a reasonably steady, reliable and overlapping flow of fare (Obi-Wan and all the other SW shows to come), things might feel different. But, right now, with a few exceptions, it just seems like you're paying ~$8/month to see movies you can see on AMC and TNT and roll the dice on a TV show (Wandavision, etc.).

When I turn my old Apple TV unit on, I see all those squares of various outlets/networks. But to really partake, you have to enter in your cable credentials...which misses the whole point. If I have my cable credentials, why am I going through the hassle of viewing it through Apple TV, just so I can watch on-demand reruns of spitball CBS shows that I don't watch to begin with?

TV is just a big convoluted mess these days. Maybe it'll shake out in the years to come, but I'm probably not going to bet on that.