View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-22, 12:26

I realize I'm going to curse myself - and lose everything on the next thunderstorm - but the stuff I have my Mac, wifi router, speakers and backup hard drive plugged into is a slightly bulky 8-10(?) port protector mounted to the back of my desk.

Here's the cool part: it's the surge protector/outlet I bought in February 1994 at Microcenter in Orange County, CA on the day I bought my first Mac (Quadra 610).

27 years and, while I tend to shut down/unplug everything during really bad lightning storms, there have been dozens and dozens of times over the decades where I haven't, and - knock on wood - all is well. There have been moments where something came on suddenly and some really good, loud (and close) hits occurred before I could do anything, and I've never lost anything.

It's old, beige, yellowed. I've never cleaned it. At any one time, 3-5 of the outlets are in use/plugged in, and there are a few open/available to me. I have to get down on the floor, on my back and slide under my desk (like you're working on a car) to plug/unplug anything because of how I have it mounted. But that happens maybe once every 3-4 years, if that.

But it has served me through seven Macs, various hard drives, 2-3 AirPort products, JBL Creature speakers and a couple of inkjets...SoCal, northern Virginia, Nashville and my current home. It's the only thing I've ever had, and connected everything to, since early 1994.

I'm just up the road from you, so we know the kind of weather each of us get. I totally know how springtime in the South can be.

I can crawl under and give you the name if the above is enticing, solid-enough testimony.

I know the specific model is long gone, but maybe the company is a good one?