View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2008-09-07, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
WebKit is a better rendering engine than Gecko these days, which begs the question: what the hell is the point of Camino?
WebKit is not always a better engine than Gecko, though. Older web pages and JavaScript that aren't designed with the intent of being displayed in today's cross-browser environment tend to display better in Camino.

Also, there are a few things Camino does UI/feature-wise that spank Safari. The way Camino handles bad SSL certificates and that Camino prompts instead of silently resubmitting HTTP Auth in new sessions are two big reasons I use mostly Camino at my day job instead of Safari. Flash-blocking and ad-blocking out of the box also kick ass. Sure, Apple will probably never include ad-blocking, but Flash-blocking would be nice and not entirely unreasonable since Apple already "blocks" Flash on the iPhone. Oh, and Camino has separate stop and reload buttons! There's more still, but I think you get the message.

And yet I still use Safari as my casual browser because I prefer WebKit for day-to-day use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Which brings me back around to my next point: One would hope that Cocoa Chromium keeps all the features that Chrome has [...] .
Completely agreed.

The Camino analogy has been stretched beyond its original intent of showing how a cross-platform engine can be implemented in such a way as to hook into native services and UI. Yes, Camino lacks extensions, but that's beside the point.

Perhaps OmniWeb would make a good new analogy?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.