View Single Post
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-02-21, 14:59

Here's what I recommend.

First get a 12" iBook. It's a Mac, it's very portable, so you get both "kinds" of experiences right from the start.

Personally, I am very happy with the 12" iBook after owning a 15" Powerbook, and basically I would trust it for any use except maybe *heavy* media, I'm not sure if you do things that hard. 60GB disk and internal Bluetooth upgrades recommended, as is adding 512MB memory yourself, as is a Tucano Second Skin or other sleeve. I wouldn't bother with expensive purpose built bags until you are really carrying the iBook around often.

Then you have your laptop. At any time you can get an external screen (preferably with DVI+VGA inputs - you can't use an Apple screen with the iBook which only has VGA) and plug it into the iBook. Screen Spanning Doctor lets you drive it at full resolutions. That squares away Photoshop use.

Later on, since you already have a display, it is an easy upgrade step to get a Powermac, if you still think you need power. Honestly, you might be surprised how much the iBook can do. I find there are lots of other things to sink $2000 into than a desktop computer when you already have a nice laptop.