View Single Post
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-03-05, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Two things that needs to be considered:

1) I usually run a Virtual Machine all time, consuming 1.5 GB, leaving 2.5 for Mac OS X.

2) Within that VM, I usually run SQL Server, which is where I do bulk of my work, which can include querying upon millions of rows.

Generally, if it's just VM running with few programs, my system is responsive enough for me. It's when the SQL Server is running queries, which I assume are HDD intensive, does it start beachballing a bit too much for me. Not to mention that I'd be rather keep working away while it works in background, but it's kind of impractical as it is now with SS running in background...
http://www.mactech.com/articles/mact...rks/index.html
Quote:
Many people have the feeling of "more is better," but clearly when it comes to RAM in the virtual machine, that is not necessarily the case. More RAM means longer virtual machine launch times, suspends and resumes. For most users, 1GB of virtual machine RAM will work best. Use more than that only if you really know you need it.
How many CPU's have you given the VM? Also, if I were you, I'd either run the SQL server on another box or I'd run it in bootcamp. You have some percentage of overhead running a VM, so that's where I'd look to improve things. Since the bulk of your work is using SQL server, well, then cut out the overhead of the Mac OS.

real hackers don't use sigs