View Single Post
holbox

2005-01-18, 07:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I hate to make it any more complicated for you.... but why even look to spend that much?

Have you given any thought into buying a Mac mini and getting an external 20" (+?) Apple Cinema Display? When the mini starts to feel slow you can upgrade to a cheap mini again or get a used G5 tower...
Right now I have a 2 yr. old iMac G4 with a combo drive. Since I am going to get into video and want to cut DVDs, I need a Super Drive. Been playing with iMovie for a couple weeks & it renders slides a little slow. So there I am, again, getting the "hots" for a new computer.
My thinking was - maybe I can resist these every 2-3 year change computer kicks by swallowing hard and just getting the best damn one money can buy and be satisfied with it for years then.
Have done that in the past ie: a Gravely Mower, Ford Expedition, Airstream, etc.

The big question is NOT do I "need" one. Hell no! But ..... is the Super Mac worth the money - really $1,700 better, faster, and would it cut that lust for something slightly better for enough years to make up the price difference?