View Single Post
gjas15

2005-08-11, 03:43

Every network interface card, whether it be wired ethernet, 802.11whatever (including base stations of any kind), or dialup modem has a unique MAC address (I'm generalizing here, I know some router allow you to change the MAC). Also, a MAC can be spoofed thats one of the big reasons WEP is so vulnerable... WPA 1+2 encrypt the MAC as well as everything else in the data packet whereas WEP leaves the MAC wide open.

Most newer wireless AP's (I have an Asus 300g) or routers have the ability to use MAC filtering. The best way I know to really lock down a network is to use WPA2 plus an access control list (MAC filter). Oh, and a really good password including upper and lowercase letters plus numbers.

Note: Most routers (even ones using the same chipset) from different brands have trouble using MAC filtering, WPA2, and WDS at the same time. It's due to the way different router software handle the MAC encryption so if you dont have an Airport base station and need WDS nine times out of ten WPA will NOT work.

Last edited by gjas15 : 2005-08-11 at 03:54.