View Single Post
Random Hero

2005-08-11, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
While WEP is crackable, it still takes someone pretty knowledgeable to run the right kind of software (with the right kind of NIC) and patient to collect enough packets to perform a statistical analysis and actually break in. Of course, if you have a simple password, a dictionary attack would get in pretty quickly.
It's not that hard, it didn't take very long for me to do it, and while I'm not a basic user, I've since come across many straight forward step-by-step articles on how to do it with a Whoppix boot CD and an Orinoco card. The part that takes the longest is actually collecting the interesting IV packets, which will take around a day or more if the network you are trying to get onto only has 1 machine with moderate internet usage.

Once you collect enough packets it just runs a brute force against it anyways, so it doesn't matter what the password is, with enough CPU time, it will be broken.

I recommend using a higher WEP encryption rate because that will require a higher number of IV packets to be collected and will take longer to brute force, so anyone trying it might just think they're doing it wrong and give up. Also, I was unsuccessful in cracking WEP with Apple's Airport Extreme, I'm not sure if they use a different algorithm or what, however it took me no time to get the 64-bit WEP from a Linux Wireless-G access point with a fair amount of traffic on the network..

No awkward goodbyes. No 'still friends' bullshit. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.

Last edited by Random Hero : 2005-08-11 at 22:28. Reason: creating == cracking