View Single Post
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-04-04, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It'd probably be easier if I was doing all this online. But I don't want to look stupid, getting blown up and everything. Plus, I want to explore that cave.
As usual, everyone else has basically beaten me to the punch, but I'll reiterate it for emphasis.

Going multiplayer really does open up a whole different world and experience. Between all the wisecracks, and believe me we are cracking wise aplenty, you have the support net of a community of people who all have vested interests in the game, be it to complete some massive project (like bobsky and his traps skyranch) or to beautify a shared neighborhood (like Bridgeport) or to just go adventuring as a team (as Drew and company did last night).

That doesn't stop you from wandering off alone and mining and building if you like. Pretty much everybody has wondered off alone to mine and build on their own for some stretch of time. The benefits to having the community, though, are that you can take breaks from your work to check out what others are up to, help them out, or just mingle, that if you get in trouble there's usually someone around to help bail you out, and that we have the ability to pool and share resources at places like the community exchange and community mob traps.

As for "looking stupid", don't sweat it. I know that some of us have been playing on AN's world for, what, four months? (golly!) Please don't let that intimidate you! I'm still likely to occasionally let my guard and get creepered to death while trying to escape the inevitable spider rape.

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Although, another benefit of being on the AN server is that you have a, umm, benevolent benefactor who likes to "keep the lights on" and regularly resets the clock when he's on so he can work in perpetual daylight. Sometimes in-game days can last for hours!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.