View Single Post
Dave
Ninja Editor

2017-10-28, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Apple should definitely keep the MacBook Pro and MacBook on a reasonable product update cycle, and they have been. The lack of expandability isn't the result of a lack of updates...I'm sure Apple has plotted the bell curve for when 32GB of memory will be necessary to them.

But yes, I also think it is a reasonable expectation that 32GB memory options exist now (though Apple would still only include it CTO on the highest end model.) Philosophically Apple has been wrong here for quite some time, since Jobs was still at the helm.
It’s a chipset limitation. Whichever one Apple’s using maxes out at 16GB with the type of DRAM they use. “Pick a different kind of DRAM, then”, you say? Well, I agree... completely... Apple, however, does not. You see, the other kind of DRAM uses something like maybe 10% more power, which means that Apple would have to increase the size of the battery, which might increase the “thinness” of their laptops to 2, maybe 3 whole sheets of paper. And that’s clearly crazy or something.

(Seriously, all I want is as fast a CPU & GPU as they can fit & keep cool, an unreasonable amount of RAM, and a high DPI screen, all in a package that weights less than 15-20lbs and is noticeably thinner than a phone book from the early 90s.)

When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden... and the one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream.