View Single Post
SledgeHammer

2005-08-13, 22:28

My fiancée and I are moving, so we rented a U-Haul truck. We reserved a 17' truck, which we figured would give us more than enough room, and it was only like 6 bucks more than the next size down, so it seemed a no-brainer. Well, if they don't have a truck in the size that you reserved available at a nearby location, they reserve the right to give you a bigger truck at no extra cost. Needless to say they didn't have the 17 footer. What they had (and not in town either, but like 70 miles away) was a 26' Super Mover. This beast is huge. It is a relatively old, diesel, manual transmission monster. Driving it back to our apartment scared the shit out of me, at least for the first 20 miles or so. After that I started to get the hang of it, but I have to drive it like 300 miles tomorrow and I am not necessarily looking forward to it. Part of me thrills at the chance to drive a beast like this, but most of me is just scared I'm going to run it along the Jersey barriers where they're doing construction, or end up in someone's back seat. I'm praying neither of those things (or anything else like it) happens.