View Single Post
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-28, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
It's also a total ripoff of Staple's "Easy Button," if you think about it.

Anyway, I despise those Chevy "This is Our Country - This is Our Truck" ads. It's like, you're not American if you buy a Tundra or something. The entire ad is American back-patting, which - quite frankly - I'm not sure we deserve. It also says nothing notable about the product, only that it's American, and thus, better. It actually makes me want to avoid buying the product in question, much like that "Pixie" Calibur ad.
Not sure why you despise them... there is nothing wrong with patriotism and pride. It's what this country was built on, and it's what carried the country through its hardest times as well as its most productive times.

It's not saying that it's American and it's better, it's simply saying it is American, and therefore supporting the American economy, and more specifically, American worker, better than most other options. By looking at Chevy and Ford you can make a pretty amazing narrative of American 20th century history.

And at a time when both companies are suffering massive losses, laying off thousands, and struggling to see a turn around in the future, I don't think there is anything wrong with an ad that brings to light history, and that they are an American brand.

Not sure we deserve? Leave your politics and recent war efforts out of it. You can be proud of your country and against Bush or against the war in Iraq at the same time.

Quote:
Yah, I actually have a little bit of respect for the guys driving around in Nissan Titans and Toyota Tundras, because it means they have enough brains to actually look at all the options and decide which truck is actually best for them, American name or no.
Actually, it probably just came down to them being cheaper. If American car companies still have anything that they are doing right, it's that they know how to make a truck.

Quote:
It's called free markets and competition. Don't buy American unless the American product is the *better* product, otherwise they'll keep turning out shit. And judging by the maintenance horror stories I hear when I travel out west -where everyone owns a damn truck- Made in America still means "it's in the shop at least 2 weeks a year".
Once again you post with your emotions. Just look at the effect Walmart has had on America. Free market huh? Don't buy American unless its better huh?

At least if you buy something made in America you can be fairly sure the people who made it made at least minimum wage and have some sort of livable life. The same can't be said for most other crap.

Quote:
Strangely, I never hear stories like this about Toyota or Nissan trucks. Not that they're perfect, but Japanese engineering is Japanese engineering. They pwn us in pretty much all categories of automotive design and factory efficiency. You'd think after taking a few pages from their play book in the early 90s and changing our factories and such, that we'd put out equally high quality vehicles on average but I guess not. Ford took a $12B loss last year... obviously Detroit still has its head stuck in its rectum.
I guess it would be hard for you to hear as many horror stories when the marketshare of American trucks far outweighs those of foreign. It's kind of like Apple vs. PCs. I'm sure you would say you have heard of far fewer hardware issues with macs than pc friends. No surprise.