View Single Post
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-03-09, 17:26

Hello. I just thought i would add my 2 cents, as i was (am) in sort of the same situation as yourself. I studied Civil Engineering at Uni and came out with a 2.1 Hons. After 4 and a bit years in engineering (various sectors, contracting, structural design, and now working for a client) i realised that this isn't what i wanted to do.

Now i don't know if the idea of Med school came form watching too much ER or simply because i have always been more interested in wanting to help people or help develop people. So i did a lot of research into Med school here in the UK and i found that i would have to do a min of 4 years at Uni (paid for by myself). By which time i would be 30, working crazy shifts (as young doctors do) for very little pay. Thats not really a situation i want to be in when i am 30! So i have managed to push it to the back of my mind (for now) and i have started to look for other jobs where i can scratch this "helping people" itch.

None of this has probably helped in any which way for form, but two things i would say is:
1) Try to rationally (this is the hard part) decide what it is that attracts you to this profession (think can you deal with the hard times to get to the good).
2) If you think this is what you really want to do in Life. Then do it!! As the last thing you want to do is look back on your life and have never taken that chance. Engineering is (well in the UK) an industry where people are always needed (although your company seems to be going against that grain) therefore even if you take a year or two out, find you don't like med school, you can always go back to engineering.