View Single Post
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2009-08-04, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I got a 36 on the MCAT, had 7 interviews (all at top schools) and did not get in to a single one. But looking back on it, I'm very happy that they didn't want me.
My story is similar, except I was offered a position at a middle tier school by the dean of the medical school and refused because the quality of the program was low, I was half accepted to a program at an upper tier school (the medical school raising concerns). AND I was wait listed at three or four other schools. My interviews were terrible almost completely (except at Yale and Penn), particularly with students (Harvard could have been the worst simply because I didn't actually like any of the interviewees and the researchers I was set up with blew big monkey dicks -- however, Cornell takes the cake since I ended up interviewing with someone who started looking at the clock two minutes into the interview -- taking control of the conversation was impossible since the physician was a douchebag and responded with one word answers). Ugh.

It turns out that the statistics for getting into an MD/PhD program are better if you get an interview than for medical school alone. Collecting those statistics, I calculated that I was an 99.9 percentile anomaly.

It turns out, I have learned, that one of my recommendations wasn't bad per se, however it strongly suggested that I wouldn't finish medical school. I liked the professor (who is now dead), but he had jumped ship on a md/phd himself at some point and probably thought i was a sort of protege...

i hated the politics/begging aspect of it... it was the worst time of my life.