View Single Post
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2010-05-20, 16:15

Been a while since I updated the thread, but I wanted to let you guys know that I was accepted back in January

It's not my top choice (Duke was my top choice but I was rejected post-interview in March) but I'm happy to be accepted. I realize now that I made the mistake of applying to a lot of top research schools without having any research experience. I pretty much had no idea how much extra stuff was required when applying to medical school. I just figured I'd apply to places where my MCAT and GPA were competitive. I called up 5 or 6 admissions offices recently to see why I was rejected and they flat out told me that my MCAT and GPA were competitive, and my volunteer experience was great, but since I had no research experience it made my application as a whole not very competitive. Bummer.

So I was accepted at NY Medical College right here in Westchester, NY (about 15 minutes from where I'm from) and I'm on the wait list at the University of Rochester. I hope to hear from Rochester again since really liked it there, but I don't have a good feeling about the wait list.

Since school is going to start in the fall for me I'm going on a trip out to San Diego for a couple of weeks. I leave tomorrow morning; pretty excited! I have some friends in grad school out there and I've gone there during the summers for the past few years (except last year since I was studying for the MCAT.)

It'll be a nice change of pace from the weather in NY. It's rained for the past four days (but today and tomorrow it's going to be like 85!)