View Single Post
crazychester
Dick in the Abstentia, The

2020-03-10, 19:13

Here's what the beginning of the collapse of a first world health system looks like from the perspective of a couple of front liners.

Here.

And another.

There will be Wuhan type lockdowns. China didn't do what they did in Hubei province because they're an authoritarian regime. They did it because they saw the freight train that is the complete breakdown of social order resulting from wide scale fear and panic hurtling towards them. And because they realised the virus sets the rules. Either accept those rules and play by them or lose.

How draconian the lockdowns are will depend in part how late governments leave it and how prepared they are to follow South Korea's lead and throw open the chequebook to incentivise people to do the right thing, regardless of the cost.

I started looking at this closely around January 20. Within a few days I'd come to the same conclusion as Bruce regarding the seriousness of the threat. By the time this thread started, my plans for how I was going to survive being locked down for a considerable length of time were well underway. I have no plan should the morons who lead us fuck it up so badly that the social fabric is torn asunder. I accept that if that scenario arises, I am almost certainly fucked.

If you feel the need to shoot the messenger, knock yourself out. I will just feel sad for you.

If you think I'm trying to frighten you. Good. You should be frightened. Have your little fucking freak out and then get on with dealing with it so you are both physically and psychologically prepared for whatever the extremely scary future is about to throw your way. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. World shattering events happen all the time. They happened to my parents with the Great Depression and World War 2. They happened to my grandparents with World War 1. And now one is happening to us. We're not special. We're not immune (NPI).

I'll finish with the words of reddit u/myne from a few days ago. The second panic they refer to is The Great Australian Toilet Paper Panic of 2020. My preps did not include buying more than the usual bulk 24 pack I buy. Because there are plenty of ways to clean my arse without fucking tp.

Quote:
There's an old saying related to stock markets.

"He who panics first, panics best."

If you sold all your stocks out of sheer irrational panic the day Lehman defaulted, you probably did alright.

The first wave of panic was in January. The early birds started stocking up quietly. No one noticed.

This is the second wave.

The third wave will be when the logistics chains actually seize up sporadically. Forwhatever random reason. Missing parts, sick people, shut downs. There'll be plenty of food etc but it'll be in the wrong place.

Anyone who has already panicked will cope ok.